Cristo-Rei (in English Christ the King) is a Catholic monument of Jesus Christ overlooking the city of Lisbon, Portugal. It was inspired by the Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and inaugurated on 17 May 1959. At that time, Portugal was being ruled by the President of the Council António de Oliveira Salazar, and it was on his orders that the Cristo-Rei was built.
The monument was built on the left-bank of the Tagus river, facing Lisbon on the other bank. Its location is at coordinates 38º40'43" N 9º10'17" W, in the civil parish of Pragal, in the city of Almada, inthe District of Setúbal, Lisbon Region. It is also a national monument.
The base of the monument, designed by architect António Lino, is in the form of a gate, standing 75 m (246 ft) tall. At the top is a statue of Christ the Redeemer, designed by sculptor Francisco Franco de Sousa, 28 m (92 ft)-tall. At the base of the statue is an observation deck (altitude: 184 m / 604 ft) providing panoramic views of the city of Lisbon, the Tagus River and of the 25 de Abril Bridge. It is located on the left riverbank.
The construction of Cristo-Rei was approved on a Portuguese Episcopate conference, held in Fátima on 20 April 1940, as a plea to God to release Portugal from entering World War II. However, the idea had originated on a visit by the Cardinal Patriarch of Lisbon to Rio de Janeiro in 1934, soon after the inauguration of the statue of Christ the Redeemer in 1931.
Construction started in 1950 and took nine years to complete. It was founded and supported by Apostleship of Prayer members.