Australia kept huskies in Antarctica for almost 40 years beginning in 1954 with the opening of Mawson Station. As well as proving to be hard-working, reliable forms of transport, they were also loyal companions and much-loved by Australian Antarctic expeditioners.
In 1991, Australia signed an environmental treaty that required introduced species to be removed from the Antarctic. The last remaining huskies left the Australian Antarctic Territory in 1993, the older dogs retiring to Australia, while the younger working dogs began new lives in the United States.
Huskies were first used in the Antarctic by the British Antarctic Expedition of 1898-1900. They were strong and willing workers.
Coming from Greenland and Labrador they were familiar with snow, ice, cold and wind. Their thick double-layered coats provided excellent protection against the extremely cold conditions. The huskies wore harnesses and could haul from fifty up to ninety kilograms. Normally working in teams, the number of dogs used varied depending on the weight of the load to be hauled.
The term husky is usually used to refer to snow or northern hemishere dogs and can include a wide range of breeds.
In 1954 when Australia established its first permanent Antarctic station at Mawson huskies were introduced. This continued to be their home for almost 40 years.
In addition to being a reliable form of transport, the huskies provided companionship, love and loyalty to the Antarctic expeditioners. This loyal and hard working animal continues to evoke strong emotion in young and old alike.
The 1991 Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic Treaty banned all introduced species, except man, from being taken into the Antarctic. It was with a great deal of sadness that in 1993 the last remaining huskies left Mawson and the Australian Antarctic Territory. The older dogs are living out their days in Australia, the younger, working dogs are enjoying a new life in Minnesota, USA.