Categories

New products

All new products

DAR POMORZA Sailing Ship Silver Coin Hologram Belarus 2010

Struck by the Mint of Poland and issued by the National Bank of Belarus, this silver coin is dedicated to the Polish sailing ship, the Dar Pomorza, and features a colourful, eye-catching hologram image on the obverse.

More details


59.95 €

The Dar Pomorza
"Dar Pomorza" (Gift of Pomerania), called the White Frigate, is a Polish sailing frigate, currently preserved in Gdynia since 1929. She was built in 1909 in the Blohm & Voss shipyard in Hamburg as a training ship for the German merchant maritime school. After her launch on 18 September 1909 the ship was named "Prinzess Eitel Friedrich" and set off for her virgin cruise to Christiansand and Antwerp.

When Germany lost the First World War the ship was taken over by the French, who brought her to the port in Saint Nazaire. In 1926 she was renamed "Colbert" and was to replace the French school sailing boat "Richelieu".
The plan was however never fulfilled. A year later the ship’s new owner was Baron de Foreste, who intended to transform her into an ocean sailing boat, but this idea also remained nothing more than a plan.

In 1929 the ship was bought from the funds raised at the public collection by the Pomeranian National Fleet Committee for the amount of 7,000 pounds sterling. It was to replace the worn school barge "Lwów". Then the frigate was renamed again "Dar Pomorza" (Gift of Pomerania) to commemorate the generosity of the local community. In June 1930 the ship was for the first time anchored in the roadstead in Gdynia, and on 13 June the bishop St. Okoniewski blessed the ship and her flag.

The frigate was given to the State Maritime School in Gdynia and became the second (after the "Lwów") cradle of Polish navigators. Within her 51 years in the school "Dar Pomorza" took 102 school cruises, covering half a million sea miles. 13 384 students of the Maritime School were trained on her decks.
On 4 August 1982 the "Dar Pomorza" was formally removed from school operations, and at the same time a flag was raised on her successor "Dar Mlodziezy" (the Gift of the Youth), designed and built in Gdansk.
On 16 November 1982 "Dar Pomorza" was given to the Polish Maritime Museum.

  • Country
    Belarus
  • Year
    2009
  • Face Value
    20 Rubles
  • Metal
    Silver
  • Fineness (purity)
    925/1000
  • Weight (g)
    28.28
  • Diameter (mm)
    38.61
  • Quality
    Proof
  • Mintage (pcs)
    25.000
  • Certificate (COA)
    Yes
  • Presentation case (box)
    No
The coin obverse depicts in the center at the background of navigation sea chart the stylized image of wind rose with raised hologram and on the top left the relief of the State Coat of Arms of the Republic of Belarus.
On the reverse is a seascape image with a finely detailed depiction of the Dar Pomorza sailing ship moving through the waters. To the left is a smaller scaled version showing the ship side on, with the inscription for "Dar Pomorza" below.